Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynne Jones

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Re: Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynne Jones

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I'm in chapter 20, only one more to finish.

Well, I suppose
the final battle between Howl and the Witch of Waste is coming soon. Howl knew since the beginning Sophie was under a spell. I think they'll end together.
It's a funny and curious story. Sometimes a little bit crazy, but I like it. It won't be the best book of the year, but I enjoyed reading it.
Kiraya
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Mensaje por Kiraya »

lucia escribió: 12 Oct 2019 19:22 And will you also start commenting here in English? :boese040: :boese040:
You're so right! :oops:
Apologies to you all. I will have a word with myself.

You, Ms. Disaster, move :colleja:
Escribo, luego existo

Y hablo de lo que me da la gana en https://navegandocultura.com/
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I finished on Wednesday. I liked it.

It's funny, all the time you have the sense of reading a fairy tale. Well, Fanny
wasn't that bad as Martha told Sophie.
There was a mess in the end
with the other Wizard, the dog-man, the prince, Percival... but it was funny.
And of course Sophie and Howl were happy ever after.
Nice reading.
Parónima
No puedo vivir sin este foro

Mensaje por Parónima »

Wow, so fast!
I don't have much time so I read slow, but I'm enjoying it a lot. It really makes me angry to go to bed with my book for reading and fall asleep after a few pages :oops: :roll:
mariki
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por mariki »

I'm way behind with the book :colleja: I can only read a few pages before falling asleep. I'm around 20% I like the beginning with all the witches, curses and magic. And readling Lizzy's comments without the spoilers, the book seems to improve with the passing of pages :wink: Good to know
Kiraya
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Mensaje por Kiraya »

I finished.
I'll comment when I come back, I'm on holiday. :60:
Escribo, luego existo

Parónima

Mensaje por Parónima »

I red about 110 pages, more or less, and sometimes I wonder if the story is a bit slow or it's me who is reading so slowly. Anyways I like the book a lot :mrgreen:
Kiraya
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Mensaje por Kiraya »

At last!

It is an entertaining book, nice and very fantastic, with its contrasts, its topics and its topic breakups.
Some point in the first half it felt somewhat tiring. I can´t say whether due to the book itself (writing, English, plots ...) or just myself. Maybe it was with all this Michael and Howl´s crushes and flirting.

In general I found the writing very easy going, free-flowing but some repetition I would suggest to watch and manage. The tone is a tale tone but it does not follow the tale telling pattern. The characters are way more worked out than in a tale, actually they are quite well defined with their light and their shadows all different from each others. I would expected for them to be more plain in a tale (but tales is not my usual reading, so I am not to tell, I guess).

The main plot is simplistic on its own, but it grows in a mess of secondary plots where, while the reader is never allowed to forget (author´s continuous reminders), they are forced to dive in all these other little plots that come up.

The ending resolves all the misteries but still... it leaves a taste of "need more", are we going to read the next one? :boese040: Honestly, I am not sure I want to keep going with this soon. But in time, sure, why not?

I did not like the fact that Sophie spends most of her time doing granny´s job. I thought it might be because she is taking such roll since she looks like a granny. But... the author presents all these cooking, sewing, washing as naturally coming to her to do. As making her useful by being the perfect wife? At least she is definitely not the quiet, obedient girl type but a curious, stubborn meddler.

Mentioning wifes, I have to say that I did not get bored by the "romantic" stuff. It is all so bathed in humour that is just OK. Also, I confess that the author got me out of the topic,
I totally shipped Sophie and Howl, but it became so irrelevant that I forgot! until it was relevant again, of course :cunao:
I did not feel "well, all that... only to get to this?" as usual.

I got lost at some point by the end when the Witch says
"Then the King would not let Prince Justin follow Suliman for months, and when he did follow, the silly fool went up north somewhere for some reason, and I had to use all my arts to get him here."
In my mind, Suliman was sent by the King to find the Prince and this Howl did not like.
Did I miss a kind of Suliman goes, Justin follows, Justin gets caught, Suliman comes back, King sends Suliman to find Justin???
I did enjoy the reading with all its little, not a lot cons. For children I think it is a 10.
Escribo, luego existo

Parónima

Mensaje por Parónima »

I finished it yesterday and I liked it sooo much! Now I want to see Miyazaki's film again, I didn't remember anything when I started the book so it was as if I didn't know the story :D
As Kiraya said, I'd like to read the next two books, but not soon. I admit that it was a bit difficult adn I was very slow, maybe because I haven't read in english for so long that I have no habit, and well... maybe too I'm not so good at english... yet :roll:
I didn't read a lot, but I think that I may love tales :cunao:
Kiraya
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Mensaje por Kiraya »

Pues qué bien que hayas llegado a disfrutarlo, @Parónima
Si lees con un inglés flojito, no es poco lo que te has metido, y si además consigues enterarte y seguir la trama, pues ¡genial!
¡¡Enhorabuena!! :ola:
Escribo, luego existo

LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Well I'm happy all of us like the reading :alegria: :alegria:

For me the English in the book was not very difficult. I don't have problems with the understanding, i usually have problems to speak or write. I read Kirayas messagges and I feel myself stutterer :lol: :lol:

I know it's not the same speaking or writing when you have learnt English at school and never go abroad to practice it (well some holidays :lol: :lol: ).

But when i compare my messagges with the others i feel really bad. :( :(
Parónima

Mensaje por Parónima »

LizzyDarcy escribió: 08 Nov 2019 09:02 But when i compare my messagges with the others i feel really bad. :( :(
I don't compare because if I do, i would chop my fingers :lol: :lol:
My major problem is with vocabulary, I understand the grammar when I read or hear, although I can't express myself properly. Maybe it's what you said about studying and never practice... Anyways, I'm looking forward the next mc :D
Kiraya
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Mensaje por Kiraya »

I did it again...
I internalized Ábrete Libro in Spanish and I always land here in Spanish mode whether I want it or not.
:desierto:
Sorry...
Escribo, luego existo

lucia
Cruela de vil

Mensaje por lucia »

Lol
Nuestra editorial: www.osapolar.es

Si cedes una libertad por egoísmo, acabarás perdiéndolas todas.

Imagen Mis diseños
Parónima

Mensaje por Parónima »

:lol: :lol:
Responder