The curious incident of the dog in the night-time

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

Ororo
Diosa de ébano

Re: The curious incident of the dog in the night-time

Mensaje por Ororo »

larousse86 escribió:Ororo, even if you haven't read it, you can figure that out just in a few pages!!
Yes, that's true :cunao: I was trying to find out about what was happening with him and I had the answer really near!!
Ayrween
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por Ayrween »

I knew because I had read the book some years ago. But when you have read some chapters I think you figure out that Christopher
has Asperger
Ororo
Diosa de ébano

Mensaje por Ororo »

I'm on chapter 67 and this boy is inspiring me so much tenderness... I love reading his peculiar reasoning :)

I guess
his father is still in shock and isn't ready to confront the situation yet. I see that he didn't go to the hospital to see his mother or to the funeral. It's a bit strange, I think. Maybe the father didn't have enough strength to go with him.
The worst (or the best?) is that Christopher doesn't suffer the lost of his mother in the way a teenager is supposed, does he? This is a consequence from his disease, but I don't know if he is suffering without expressing his feelings.

Will Mrs. Alexander be his new friend? It seems they are doing well :D
Ororo
Diosa de ébano

Mensaje por Ororo »

:shock: :shock:
No, I'm not really so surprised...
Mrs. Alexander's reaction when Christopher tells her that his mother was on hospital and finally died looked suspicious :meditando: Now, what I'm asking to myself is... has his mother died?
I'm in chapter 131 and the most I like is the fact that we are getting to know the main character and his daily life through
the book he's writing and through little bits of his own reality.
About the end...
I'm suspicious that the boy or the father killed Wellington :shock: I know this isn't the really important in the story, but I have this feeling
Felicity
Comité de bienvenida
Contactar:

Mensaje por Felicity »

You will discover about the mum so soon Ororo :60:
Recuento 2024
Nos pasamos años sin vivir en absoluto, y de pronto toda nuestra vida se concentra en un solo instante (Oscar Wilde)
Ororo
Diosa de ébano

Mensaje por Ororo »

Felicity escribió:You will discover about the mum so soon Ororo :60:
:o :o You were right, Felicity!!
The letters!!
What kind of father is this one? Yes, I know, an angry one...
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

And you'll discover more important things soon, so soon :boese040: :mrgreen:
Ayrween
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por Ayrween »

I finished on Wednesday but I couln't comment before.

I like it very much. :D
I din't remember many details from the first time I read it. Some important things, like the mother was alive, yes. Not that the father killed Wellington. :lol:
Things that are very usual for many of us
are very difficult for Christopher. I like the end, I find hope for him, because despite the difficulties, he has been capable of travelling to London and find her mother.
The language is easy, so I din't find special difficulties to read in English.
Ororo
Diosa de ébano

Mensaje por Ororo »

Chapter 179.
I'm feeling strongly sad.
This boy is hidden in the garden because he thinks that his father could kill him... Poor boy, I'm feeling everything he suffers and I think that's the goal of the author. Good for him.
I also think that
some chapters like the Baskervilles, are too long and don't have much interest. Yes, I know that it's a teenager's diary and maybe the author wanted to tell us how works his mind showing this dispersed mind.
Felicity
Comité de bienvenida
Contactar:

Mensaje por Felicity »

Yes, I realised that too, Ororo about a "just-information-Chapters" :lol:
Recuento 2024
Nos pasamos años sin vivir en absoluto, y de pronto toda nuestra vida se concentra en un solo instante (Oscar Wilde)
Larús
La enciclopedia

Mensaje por Larús »

I finished it days ago and I just realised I forgot to write down my general impression of the novel.

First of all (formal aspect), it's very easy to read. The vocabulary is accessible and I followed the story almost effortless. I had already read the book in Spanish, though, but I had forgotten some details.

As for the story per se, and as I wrote in my other comments, we discover
Asperger disease from the point of view of the suffering one.
I think the author describes perfectly well how Christopher
is feeling in every moment: the desperation, the stress, the incomprehension from the surrounding people... and all that help us understand his feelings and actings.
In the end, I had the ethic question:
was Christopher's father right saying his mother was dead? Was his mother right running away and leaving him (them)? Is everyone ready to cope with this (or any) disease? That entails work, patience and a lot of love; is everyone prepared for that?
I liked a lot, so recommendable
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Larousse, the ethic questions that you made are so interesting and we could talk for hours and hours. There aren't two people in the world that adress the problems in the same way. So
I can't justify the father's lie but in a way I can understand him, and the same for the mother. I can't justify her going away but I could understand her.
Larús
La enciclopedia

Mensaje por Larús »

The thing is, the father
was trapped within his own lie. When his wife left he made up she was in hospital just to gain some time, but as time passed by, I guess he knew she would never come back, so the painless way to cope the absence was saying she had died. In some way, she had. Couldn't he imagine she could show up some day? Or that Christopher could go after her? Probably not.
As for
the mother, the stress, the daily fight, frustration, bad relationship... made her explode and fall in love with the neighbor. She really needed to scape. But she loved her child too. She said she thought of him every day; she even wrote a letter regularly, but that didn't make her come back. Which love is more powerful? What made her stay in London, away from them?

We can't judge any of them, I guess... :? As you say, Lizzy, every person acts differently for the same situation.
Felicity
Comité de bienvenida
Contactar:

Mensaje por Felicity »

It's very interesting what you are saying. Unafortunately every day we are reading in newspaper that parents are leaving their children with problems and run away. Nobody is prepared to face off a illnes in their own children. But there are some things which are above of that. The love, and that there is a young children who need mum more and more close.
I don´t like daddy Actitude, lying him. But problably is the easiest way to not unbalanced the guy.
The mother is who really piss me, running away but she, in the end, feels miserable and need to have de contact with her son.
Recuento 2024
Dayra
Lector voraz

Mensaje por Dayra »

Hello!! I read The first page of this threat ! And i understood that you'll read this book on The 5 of february ( i don't remember how can i write "febrero" correctly, sorry :( i am losing my english over and over :'( ) so, can i read it with you? I have this book in my library long long time ago and i began a few months ago but i didnt finish it..

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI RIO-L01 mediante Tapatalk
Responder