English MC- July - Room, by Emma Donoghue

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

LauraCo
No tengo vida social

English MC- July - Room, by Emma Donoghue

Mensaje por LauraCo »

In many ways, Jack is a typical 5-year-old. He likes to read books, watch TV, and play games with his Ma. But Jack is different in a big way--he has lived his entire life in a single room, sharing the tiny space with only his mother and an unnerving nighttime visitor known as Old Nick. For Jack, Room is the only world he knows, but for Ma, it is a prison in which she has tried to craft a normal life for her son. When their insular world suddenly expands beyond the confines of their four walls, the consequences are piercing and extraordinary. Despite its profoundly disturbing premise, Emma Donoghue's Room is rife with moments of hope and beauty, and the dogged determination to live, even in the most desolate circumstances. A stunning and original novel of survival in captivity, readers who enter Room will leave staggered, as though, like Jack, they are seeing the world for the very first time.
Imagen
Leyendo :101: :
Les calces al sol - Regina Rodríguez Sirvent
Ciudad Feliz - Charles Montgomery
DarkLady Juliet
Vivo aquí

Re: English MC- July - Room, by Emma Donoghue

Mensaje por DarkLady Juliet »

Thanks Laura.

I'll wait to see your first comments. I'm not sure I'd be able to read it straightaway not knowing if it's too hard for sensitive people. (I'm too sensitive in many cases and prone to crying on the bus, regardless of other people's looks).

Anyway, it's interesting to note that Emma Donoghue has been awarded all these prizes for ROOM:

Winner of the 2011 Commonwealth Prize for Fiction (Canada & Carribbean)
Winner of the American Library Association’s Indie Choice Award for Adult Fiction
Winner of a 2011 Alex Award (for an adult book with special appeal to teen readers) from the American Library Association
Winner of the Hughes & Hughes Irish Novel of the Year
Winner of the 2010 Rogers Writers’ Trust Fiction Prize. Jury citation: http://www.writerstrust.com/Awards/Roge ... Prize.aspx
Shortlisted for the 2010 Man Booker Prize for ROOM.
LauraCo
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por LauraCo »

Juliet :60: :60:

I've only read 12 pages and I don't know if it's because it was 2 months ago since my last english novel but I find it a little bit difficult, I mean in terms of understanding some words. Maybe I've got to used to it.
I don't know yet why they are closed in the room.
DarkLady Juliet
Vivo aquí

LauraCo escribió:
I don't know yet why they are closed in the room.
I do, I do. It was in the library (in Spanish) when we were making the first poll and I read the back cover...

Why did you decide to read it? Did somebody recommended it to you? Did you like the cover? No kidding, some books have attracted me by the cover and most of them have not disappointed me, obviously, before buying them I took a look at the plot.
LauraCo
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por LauraCo »

DarkLady Juliet escribió:I do, I do. It was in the library (in Spanish) when we were making the first poll and I read the back cover...

Why did you decide to read it? Did somebody recommended it to you? Did you like the cover? No kidding, some books have attracted me by the cover and most of them have not disappointed me, obviously, before buying them I took a look at the plot.
I happen to me also to be attracted by the covers and I like this one :mrgreen:
I don't know why I decided to read it my first impression when I read the summary was that it could be a nice book, but for what you say it seems to be so hard. Anyway I will go on with the reading (but I will do it more slowly to understand better the things) and see what happens, next to my translator for difficult words :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One question Juliet, Was the summary that I put above the same that you read on the back cover?
Nieves
Foroadicto

Mensaje por Nieves »

I started reading this book in English. But it wasn´t as easy as I thought.
The other day I stopped by the library and was available the Spanish version. Sorry I did not know to resist temptation :oops:
LauraCo escribió:I've only read 12 pages and I don't know if it's because it was 2 months ago since my last english novel but I find it a little bit difficult, I mean in terms of understanding some words. Maybe I've got to used to it.
I thought that being narrated by a child would be easy to follow, but it had been harder than I thought.
LauraCo
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por LauraCo »

Nieves escribió:I started reading this book in English. But it wasn´t as easy as I thought.
The other day I stopped by the library and was available the Spanish version. Sorry I did not know to resist temptation :oops:
LauraCo escribió:I've only read 12 pages and I don't know if it's because it was 2 months ago since my last english novel but I find it a little bit difficult, I mean in terms of understanding some words. Maybe I've got to used to it.
I thought that being narrated by a child would be easy to follow, but it had been harder than I thought.
I thought the same Nieves: if it's a little boy who explains the story it could be easier, but isn't! I'm reading this book so slowly because I need to understand what they are talking about, because there are lots of difficult words (well I think that could be children words and expressions). I've read a little more but it is still hard to follow correctly :?

Nieves I couldn't also resist the temptation if I found it in Spanish. :cunao:
DarkLady Juliet
Vivo aquí

LauraCo escribió: One question Juliet, Was the summary that I put above the same that you read on the back cover?
Not quite. It's similar, but as I read it I figured out what was it about. And after reading a review in a magazine, my suspicion was confirmed.

As I reread it now, I don't see it so clear.. but still, there are some hints about the reason why they are in the room, at least for me.
CONTRAPORTADA:Para Jack, un niño de cinco años, la Habitación es el mundo entero, el lugar donde nació, donde come, juega y aprende. Por la noche, Mamá lo pone a dormir en el Armario, por si viene el Viejo Nick... Para su madre, la Habitación es el cubículo donde lleva siete años encerrada. Con gran tesón e ingenio, ha creado en ese reducido espacio una vida para su hijo, y su amor por él es lo único que le permite soportar lo insoportable. Pero la curiosidad de uno crece a la par que la desesperación de la otra. Sólo queda urdir la huido, un plan más arriesgado de lo que ambos puedan imaginar.
Is it Jack the one who tells the story? I thought it would be his mother.
LauraCo
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por LauraCo »

DarkLady Juliet escribió:Is it Jack the one who tells the story? I thought it would be his mother.

It is, it is, and the way he explains the story it's quite difficult.

Thanks for the back cover Juliet :60: :60:
LauraCo
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por LauraCo »

I've continued reading a little more and one thing shock me
Jack only knows that room things are real, but things which are on TV he thinks they aren't (for the tittle you imagine that, that the only reality he has is the room, and everything he see in TV it can't be true); the saddest thing is that he ask her mother but she can't answer him well.

Another thing is why she has marks on her neck :shock:
I don't know yet why they are inside the room.
DarkLady Juliet
Vivo aquí

Laura, how many pages of the book have you read?

Maybe if it's still a long way to go, you are still in an "introductory" moment, or maybe you won't know the solution until the end.
LauraCo
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por LauraCo »

DarkLady Juliet escribió:Laura, how many pages of the book have you read?

Maybe if it's still a long way to go, you are still in an "introductory" moment, or maybe you won't know the solution until the end.
I've read 50 pages, I'm taking the reading so slowly to understand better. Now I know that
his mother told him that tv things are real, but she doesn't explain anything else, It would be difficult to explain.
Nieves
Foroadicto

Mensaje por Nieves »

LauraCo escribió:I don't know yet why they are inside the room.
In a few chapters later Jack's mother explains him why they are in that room.
Have you made ​​any conjecture?
DarkLady Juliet
Vivo aquí

Haven't you finished it yet?

Did you like ir or did it disappoint you? Were you expecting something different?
sora91
I am a Browncoat

Mensaje por sora91 »

I liked this book a lot. This was my first reading of the year and it surprised me twice. The first surprise was the topic. The second was when Jack and her mom
escape of the room. I thought that all the novel would be the life in the Room.
Responder