The girl on the train - Paula Hawkins

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

Pegeen
No tengo vida social

Re: The girl on the train - Paula Hawkins

Mensaje por Pegeen »

I don't have any time to read lately (two jobs and a baby kitten that is always up to something wicked, I'm getting crazy :loco:), and it's kinda annoying because I think it really could hook me as well! ...if I had time enough. But it turns quite difficult to follow the plot when I only can read maybe fifteen minutes in a row. :fustrado: Anyway, I have read about the 25%.
Megan is already missing (I feel kinda silly, it took me ages to realize that Megan and Jess were the same person :oops:) but we don't know anything yet about what Rachel has to do with that. By the way, Rachel can be pretty obnoxious because she's obviously making all the bad choices in life, but I love the character, she's the perfect portrait of a person who's sick of sadness because she doesn't know how to handle what had happened to her (first her barrennes, then the divorce). Her feelings when she thinks about her ex-husband, and her need of alcohol to make them go away are very well described in my opinion.
I want to read your reviews, but I'll have to wait at least a 10% more. :cunao:
Larús
La enciclopedia

Mensaje por Larús »

I finished it :D

As I said, I read it in Spanish, I was on holidays and I felt lazy to read it in English :cunao: It's quite a quick reading, not the best novel ever, but entertaining and absorbing. As for me, I didn't see the end coming :lol:
When I finished it, I thought it could have been quite obvious: Tom, the perfect man, he that is willing to help the drunk exwife... but until it is known that Megan is pregnant I didn't figure it out :o Nor did Anna, by the way :lol: Anyway, my theory was that Rachel or even the redhead man had something to do with it.
Narrative is good and keeps the suspense going. My recommendation: Don't read the prologue :wink:
PinkClouD
Foroadicto
Contactar:

Mensaje por PinkClouD »

I've finished today.
I like the book, is true that is not as good as the publicity said but I like it, it has misterious, interesting characters and a murder!
Finally in this book there is no good person! well.. maybe Rachel because the only crime she has committed is she is crazy and alcoholic but she is not a bad person. But Scott is sexist and he hit woman, Tom is even better, a murderer, he is crazy too and Anna... she is a bad person because she destroy a marriage and she deserves the worst to Rachel, however finally she realice that Rachel was right. Megan was a bad person too, selfish and she was cheating on her boyfriend.
I don´t figure out the murderer until the last chapters, I think that the murderer was Rachel as she didn´t remembers anuthing....
I like the resolution, I think it is fear, Tom dead and Rachel can rebuilt her life, it will be difficult after all the things she´ve been through but it is possible.
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I'll read this book in my holidays, so when I come back I'll give my impressions. :D
IsaPerséfone
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Mensaje por IsaPerséfone »

Pink, I agree with you
there is not a good person in this book. Even Rachel is bad because, even though she lost her husband as he cheated on her, she is stalking both he and his family. And he might be a terrible person, Anna might be very bad too, but the baby had nothing to do with that. And Rachel's manner were the opposite to "correct"
Pegeen, I hope you can find some more time to read.

Lizzy, enjoy :)
Pegeen
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por Pegeen »

I reached 55%.
Megan's body has been found and Rachel thinks that the therapist is who killed her. I don't know what will happen but we have seen that Megan is not as nice as seemed. She can be quite wicked and jealous, and is really mad when Kamal wants to end his relationship with her. Scott looks like the perfect boyfriend but maybe there's something dark that we don't know yet.
I really want to keep reading so I hope that it won't be disapointing. :D
Dayra
Lector voraz

Mensaje por Dayra »

Oooooh... so sad, i'm already Reading this book in spanish .. :( but anyway i like it very much! and i think it could be good in english too, easy to read, maybe =)
Larús
La enciclopedia

Mensaje por Larús »

Dayra, you can write down your impressions in this thread too!! :D
Pegeen
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por Pegeen »

I finished it time ago but I forgot to come and comment the last impressions.
I never suspected Tom at all, even when I thought that Scott was too perfect to be real, I never realize that Tom was as well. Highly smart that way of confusing the reader, make us see all through Rachel's eyes. She believes that is a total stalker and that she screwed up her marriage so we think "poor Tom, he did his best, so patient and kind". So when we find out is like... euh. I mean, she had a real problem but not in the way he want her to believe. He hit her and then made her think that she was the violent one, and spoke to Megan lots of times and said to Anna that was the loony ex-wife. I like that at the end she can start all over again and leave alcohol behind, or at least, to try it.
Pegeen
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por Pegeen »

By the way, with this book I learnt that you are not in the train, but on the train. :mrgreen:
PinkClouD
Foroadicto
Contactar:

Mensaje por PinkClouD »

Prepositions iin English are awful!!! I always said it wrongly, in fact, I will forget "on the train" eventually.
IsaPerséfone
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Mensaje por IsaPerséfone »

I have the same problem even though my teacher used to tell me and my class mates that if we look for similar expressions or sentences we will eventually learnt it :cunao:
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I've read this book on my holidays and i liked it. It's not the best book but it's interesting and I think it has very good characters.

I started to suspect
Tom when I was in the middle of the book, but I've never suspected that he tried to become Rachel crazy. She never hit him or anything he told her that she did. :evil:
I agree with all of you,
there is no good person in this book, the best is Rachel, and she has lot of things to improve, but the character i hate the most is Anna, I don't like her nothing at all. :noooo:
I recommend it for have a good time.
Dayra
Lector voraz

Mensaje por Dayra »

larousse86 escribió:Dayra, you can write down your impressions in this thread too!! :D
ok! Good idea! I think I will remember this book [BOOKS] because it was so interesting . I read it in summer ,and I thought that it wouldn't be enough good to catch my attention but it was a surprise,definetely.
happykent
Foroadicto

Mensaje por happykent »

We will read this book in April's Reading Club. I will read it in English, so I will comment it in this thread too :D
Responder