Tess of the D'ubervilles - Thomas Hardy

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Re: Tess of the D'ubervilles - Thomas Hardy

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I'm in chapter XLVIII.

Well yesterday I was a little bored with the book, farm tasks, poor Tess going here and there, but the story had an unexpected change, at least, unexpected for me
and Alec has reappeared :shock: became in a preacher. He had an argument to Angel's father and he realized that he was a sinner and he tried to change. But from the moment he saw Tess again, he couldn't get Tess out of his head. She told him about the baby. He visited her again and again and asked her to be his wife, but she said she's already married. But he insisted because he didn't see her husband even didn't know his name. But the more bad she treated him the more interested he was, just much as left his preacher condition.
This fact has made me feel interested in the book again and now i very much look forward to finish it to know what happens at the end.
Aben Razín
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por Aben Razín »

It's fantastic, Lizzy! :60:

I understand everything that you write in your commentary and so it's very important for me. Apart from this, I think the novel is a classic and I will read it.

See you :hola:
Pasado: El coraje de ser de Mónica Cavallé.

Presente: Los perdedores de la Historia de España de Fernando García de Cortázar.

Futuro: La deseada de Maryse Condé.
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Great Aben!! :D

I think it's a good book in spite is very slowly and has lot of descriptions of landscape or farm tasks, but I like the story and I think Hardy wrote very good. :D
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I've just finished the book and... I don't like it very much. I think I should assimilate it and then comment again, but the ending surprised me and disliked me in equal measure.

I supossed the book is going to have a sad ending because of I heard about Hardy's endings but this ending atonished me.

Tess
was under pressure, her mother, her brothers and sisters because they don't have any money, Alec who insisted in help her and marry her, saying that her husband won't never come back, Alec wasn't showing sign of life,... so she married Alec. And when Angel came back to look for her, he found that it was too late.
Tess feeling desperate, crying and complaining, had to endure teasing from Alec and during an anger attack she killed Alec and ran behind Angel.
They lived for a few days, a kind of honney moon together. But she has killed her husband and she had to pay again for her actions this time with the death penalty. :cry: :cry:
I wait for your comments while I assimilate, and then I comment again. :D
IsaPerséfone
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Mensaje por IsaPerséfone »

Im round the 60% of the book and I cant guess which way the story is gonna end but somehow I sense its gonna be sad or bittersweet...

Right now, Tess and Angel
got married. He tells Tess that he had an adventure one night with a woman and she forgives him but when she tells him about the baby, he rejects her pretty badly :icon_no_tenteras: He barely talks to her and its all the time complaining about her being someone others wife :icon_no_tenteras: They have decided to part ways, she is going back home with her family and he is going to look for a farm to live in, alone.
Btw, I dont really understand why
the other girls on the dairy farm tried to commit suicide... I mean, Angel can be anything you like but he is not the only man in the world. I thought this was very sad...
Responder