The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

ilargi
Vivo aquí

Re: The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly

Mensaje por ilargi »

Finished chapter XV

David is on his own
again in the Fantasy land, searching for the King, after all he went trhough with the Leñador, the poor man has been used to calm the wolves faim, or so it seems.
I enjoyed the story of the dwarfs,
really pissed-off with Snow White, :cunao: and what a Snow White!!
Si tienes una biblioteca con jardín, lo tienes todo. Cicerón

Calendario de MC
Recuento 2024
Pendientes
happykent
Foroadicto

Mensaje por happykent »

Book Finished!! In general I like it, specially the fantasy of the story and the growth of David's character.

There were parts that I found repulsive such us
the huntress and her surgeries or experiments with children and animals :enfermo: . I was afraid when she ordered David to cut her in two and to sew her upper body to the horse. But luckily David didn't do it... There were also some parts with a lot of violence and cruelty.
In the end we found that
David wasn't dreaming and he really travelled to the other world :o . The Crooked Man tooked him because he need a new king and another child's heart to prolong his existence. Rose's uncle Jonathan was the King at the time, and he made a bargain many many years ago with the Crooked Man in order to get rid of his adopted sister. Once the villain had another candidate for the throne, Jonathan would finally rest and his sister's spirit would be free.
Luckily David found this, destroyed the Crooked Man and returned home. He got the knowledge that his family looked for him for many days and found him injured in the garden. He was in a coma ever since, till the day he awoke and ask Rose for her forgiveness.
The Snowhite tale was the funniest of all the tales mentioned in the book. I had a great time reading it :lol:
she was an ugly, bad humored and agressive thing. The dwarfs tried to poisoned her, but she lived and they were condemned because the stepmother already had an alibi :lol:
As I said, I like David progress
along his journey he overcame his fears and jelousies, became a very brave boy and started entering into adulthood. He then was very protective with his brother but it was very sad that both his brother, his parents and his wife and child died :cry: . At the end of his life, David was very old and alone and decided to return to the forest. There he rejoin his family and all was well again.
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

DarkLady Juliet escribió:The
Huntress has made my heart shrink, all those kids and animals
never heard of this legend. Do you know any tale like that? I've heard that Eastern Europe has a tradition of very
cruel tales.
At the end of the book when the author explains why he takes one fairy tale or other, he explains
the idea of the huntress he took it because he has a painting in his room by David Morris with a boy with rabbit head and a rabbit with a boy head and he joined this idea with the tale of the three Army-Surgeons.
This is the painting :wink:
Imagen
happykent
Foroadicto

Mensaje por happykent »

LizzyDarcy escribió:
DarkLady Juliet escribió:The
Huntress has made my heart shrink, all those kids and animals
never heard of this legend. Do you know any tale like that? I've heard that Eastern Europe has a tradition of very
cruel tales.
At the end of the book when the author explains why he takes one fairy tale or other, he explains
the idea of the huntress he took it because he has a painting in his room by David Morris with a boy with rabbit head and a rabbit with a boy head and he joined this idea with the tale of the three Army-Surgeons.
This is the painting :wink:
Imagen
Oh! Look at that!! Thanks for putting that information and image here Lizzy :60:
The ebook that I read didn't have the author's explanations at the end... I will look for another version because I am missing a lot of really interesting information :(
DarkLady Juliet
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por DarkLady Juliet »

Help please

My book (e-book) has 340 pages approx. (343, it says, but you know... font size and all that) So I am afraid that I'm also missing the part of the comments.

Has anybody here the longer version?

Preferably in English, if not, I'll have to make do.

Thanks.
Última edición por DarkLady Juliet el 10 Feb 2016 09:34, editado 1 vez en total.
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I sent a mp to both of you :)
DarkLady Juliet
Vivo aquí

I bought the kindle version (321 pages), but being curious I have checked Amazon and the hard version has only 354 pages. The Spanish version (hard) has 544. German, paperback, 329.

I'm starting to think this might be an appendix that has only been published in the Spanish version. :8_siii_siii:
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

DarkLady Juliet escribió:I'm starting to think this might be an appendix that has only been published in the Spanish version.
As noted Spanish people is the one who needs additional explanations to understand the book :lol: :lol:
DarkLady Juliet
Vivo aquí

XXVIII

The end is near.

David has arrived to
the King's castle, after defeating the enchantress
In a way I felt pity for
Roland, and the way he ends, but finally he finds out what happened to Raphael -both names start by R, just noticed- and can rest.
I loved this character, the way he trusts David and
protects him, but also encourages his development, making David trust in himself...
and here we see the nature of
the Crooked Man, trying to get the worst out of everybody
I'm loving this book. I think I can imagine how it ends and the kind of
metaphor
the whole story is about.
ilargi
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por ilargi »

Finished!! I really liked it. It's a book about changing from childhood to adulthood and the lose of inocence. I liked the new versions of old fairytales, bloodier than the Disney ones :cunao: And I really loved the dwarfs.
Si tienes una biblioteca con jardín, lo tienes todo. Cicerón

Calendario de MC
Recuento 2024
Pendientes
DarkLady Juliet
Vivo aquí

I've finished. And I've loved it.

I may get hold of the comments and, of course, read them, but for me, the book is complete.

I've adored it.
mariki
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por mariki »

I finished it as well. I really enjoyed the story. I didn't expect the dark side of the book sometimes :? I imagined that it was a fantasy book, with fairy tales and happy endings, but it was amazing anyways.

My favourite part,
Snow White :cunao: It was funny and entertaining, the counterpart of a sad story. At the end, it has a bit of light, but I found it sad and cruel most of the times. David loses all that he cared about: his mom, his dad, his spet-mother, his half-brother,... even his wife and child. As you have said, the essence of the book is the journey that David takes from his childhood to the adulthood, a great metaphor of how he overcame his fears.
I suspected that
Rose's great-uncle was the king, but I secretly hoped that at the end, he would have a happy ending, but nearly nobody had. The Crooked Man reminded me of Rumplestinskin (from Once Upon a Time) and at the end we discover that he was also known by this name :D
I have to read the commentary section. A delightful story :D

PS: the Huntress' painting is creepy, as her story :15:
happykent
Foroadicto

Mensaje por happykent »

mariki escribió: I have to read the commentary section. A delightful story :D

PS: the Huntress' painting is creepy, as her story :15:
I am also starting the commentary section :D (I didn't have it in the version I read)
Responder