Entry Island - Peter May

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

Responder
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Entry Island - Peter May

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Imagen

Title: Entry Island
Author: Peter May
Year: 2014
Pages: 480
When Detective Sime Mackenzie boards a light aircraft at Montreal's St. Hubert airfield, he does so without looking back. For Sime, the 850-mile journey ahead represents an opportunity to escape the bitter blend of loneliness and regret that has come to characterise his life in the city.

Travelling as part of an eight-officer investigation team, Sime's destination lies in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Only two kilometres wide and three long, Entry Island is home to a population of around 130 inhabitants - the wealthiest of which has just been discovered murdered in his home.

The investigation itself appears little more than a formality. The evidence points to a crime of passion: the victim's wife the vengeful culprit. But for Sime the investigation is turned on its head when he comes face to face with the prime suspect, and is convinced that he knows her - even though they have never met.

Haunted by this certainty his insomnia becomes punctuated by dreams of a distant past on a Scottish island 3,000 miles away. Dreams in which the widow plays a leading role. Sime's conviction becomes an obsession. And in spite of mounting evidence of her guilt he finds himself convinced of her innocence, leading to a conflict between the professonal duty he must fulfil, and the personal destiny that awaits him.
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Re: Entry Island - Peter May

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I've just started it.

Tomorrow I leave my comments.
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I'm in chapter 12 and i really like the story.

As other May's books the ambiance, this loneliness, this isolated island, create an atmosphere very interesting for a mistery story.

Sime the main character has something i really like and makes me empathise with him. The story has two parts one in present with the murder research and other in past with Sime ancerstors.

The murder research is interesting
there aren't a lot of clues yet but everything points to the wife to be the murderer but i don't think so.
I have just read the begining of the past part and i want to know more of this and see how the two parts are conneceted.
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Chapter 22.

I really like the book, the story. May makes you feel the same overhelming feeling the characters have. Sime
without sleeping, feeling something about Kristy he couldn't explaine. Believing and trusting her, but at the same time, trying to do his job. The last clue Ariane gave them about Kristy going to her house the previous night to the murderer, made Sime feeling completely upset. So do I.
Sime
has just talked to his sister, and she still keeps the old diaries, maybe the clue of everything is there in these diaries, but he says until the research isn't finished he can't go to read them.
ilargi
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por ilargi »

Just started. Chap. 2 read. So far, we know that Sime is of Scottish backgroud but fluent in French, so he's the perfect man for the job.
I haven't read the summary so I don't know if Marie Ange is someone important for Sime. I suppose she is.
I go on.
Si tienes una biblioteca con jardín, lo tienes todo. Cicerón

Calendario de MC
Recuento 2024
Pendientes
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Chapter 30.

Lot of things happened in the present, but the past is very interesting too. I didn't know about the potato famina in Scotland, it's a very hard and sad part of the history, people starving to died, when the rivers and forest are plenty of food, but only for the rich people :evil: :cry:

Sime ancestor
told in his diaries his travel from Scotland to Canada, a very tough part. People getting sick, food getting rotted, people dying,... I suppose Kristy sooner or later got to arrive to Canada, because the present Kristy must be his great-great-grandaughter, so she must have travelled to Canada. But by the moment, we don't know anymore about her.
In the present, the research
point more and more to Kristy to everyone but Sime. He still trusts her, although all the clues and lies she told.
Sime has just lived a very bad moment finding out,
his wife and his boss Crozes have a relation-ship for uncertain time. Sime hit Crozes brutally. But the following morning they agreed to forget everything. Blanc adviced Sime to not believe Crozes because he thinks as soon as he can he'll take revenge on him.
Sime also found out that Mary-Ange did a voluntary abortion of their son, but she has told him to be an spontaneous one. :cry:
ilargi
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por ilargi »

I haven't read so much, just first 3 chap.

So far, we know about Simes story with
Marie-Ange, and their failed marriage.
Sime has interviewed the "prime suspect"
the murdered man's wife, and got her story about what happened the night before. But it seems that there's something "weird" with her: he seems to recognize her although the have never met. Some kind of premonition?

Calendario de MC
Recuento 2024
Pendientes
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Finished. And I really like it. Very, very much. In the end everything fits together.

I like the past story, very touching. I love the part Sime
met again Catriona, almost makes me cry. And Catriona dying during their childbirth :cry: :cry: very sad.
About the guilty, I thought about the possibility
it was Jack when i first met him, but I choose the Briand's as suspects, so when Sime was attacked the second time I was really surprised when i found out it's Jack :shock:
Ilargi, i'm following you. I hope you like it as much as me :D
ilargi
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por ilargi »

Chapter 11

We have jumped into the past and met Sime's ancestors.
His mother has just given birth to his little sister and almost died in the delivery. But this gave way to Sime to meeting Kristy, who doesn't speak Gaelic, so Sime is willing to learn the language.
They,
probalby, run away from home with the intention of having a new life in America, but she's missed the boat. He says he'll wait for her, but knows that won't be able to fultill the promise.
My guess of how the actual Sime and Kristy connect
Sime comes from the past Sime and Kristy Cowell from the past Kristy. They were never reunited but somehow she managed to get to the island and make her living there.

Calendario de MC
Recuento 2024
Pendientes
ilargi
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por ilargi »

Chapter 31.

Sime has just received, from Crozes, the order to
arrest Kristy, because DNA got from under her nails matches her husband's, and he had scratches on his face.
Sime and Kristy
have had an intimate moment on the cliffs, but the patrolman left to watch over the crime scene has saw them and, I suppose, he thinks that's not very appropriate. And that's been just before the arrest.
Sime knows the ralationship between them is not correct, but has some feeling for her that cannot explain, although he tries to do his job the best he can.
Sime and Marie-Ange's relationship
did not end wery well, Marie-Ange blaming him for the failure althoug it was her who was always absent. maybe because she was already with Crozes?
In the past, Sime
has fled Entry Island with Michaèl, but two of the co-escapees have been shot. What will they do now? Where will they go?
Última edición por ilargi el 20 May 2016 16:27, editado 1 vez en total.

Calendario de MC
Recuento 2024
Pendientes
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Ilargi check the first spoiler :wink:

What do you think about Mary-Ange?
For me she's a witch :evil: or maybe i should change the 'w' into a 'b'
ilargi
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por ilargi »

Finished. I loved it¡¡ I love the way this man writes. The landscapes, the solitude, the loneliness, though places and people. And the characters, with their loves and hates.

I didn't expect the murderer to be who eventually was, nor have the slightest idea of the reason. Who could have thought that someone would be thinking
about the inheritance left by an ancestor so long time ago in another country
And Marie-Ange, yes, she is
a bitch jjjjj

Calendario de MC
Recuento 2024
Pendientes
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I agree with you, it's a great author May.

I'm glad you like it :D
Responder