Miss Cayley's Adventures by Grant Allen

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Re: Miss Cayley's Adventures by Grant Allen

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I'm in the middle of the Egypt adventure.

It's really fun how Lois
could get a job wherever she goes :lol: :lol: selling bicycles in Swizterland, as typist in Florence, now in Egypt as a journalist,... And she really does everything perfect not as poor Elsie :lol: :lol:
Carmen Neke escribió:The author had a very sharp vision for social issues such as women rights and racism, and a very blind eye for other social issues as lower and higher classes and their place in society
The author had a very sharp vision that makes me laugh a lot :lol:
happykent
Foroadicto

Mensaje por happykent »

I have just started it! :alegria:
mariki
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por mariki »

Yeah, the language is sometimes a bit old-fashioned. I'm not able to pronounce "cantankerous" well if I read quickly :lol: I'm not even sure if that is the spelling :lol:

I haven't read in a couple of days, so you are going to overtake me soon :wink:
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Yesterday I couldn't comment and i had a lot to comment about lord Southminster,
he seems to me horrible. His marriage proposal to Lois, his racism, his... :noooo:
But now i'm finishing just a few pages i want to finish this afternoon.
Lois and Harold got married but if nothing changes (that everything will change because Lois is investigating :mrgreen: ) he is going to prison because Lord Southminster accuses him to forge Mr. Marmaduke's will.
The Q.C. allegation surprised me.
He turned around Lois adventures into something regrettable, something a lady never would do.
Tomorrow i leave my last impressions.
mariki escribió:I'm not able to pronounce "cantankerous" well if I read quickly I'm not even sure if that is the spelling
:lol: :lol: Me too. What a difficult word :mrgreen:
happykent
Foroadicto

Mensaje por happykent »

I have read the first adventure :) . I like very much both characteres (Lois and the Cantankerous Lady) and I also think that the manner of writing is very good. Maybe there are some words from old vocabulary which I dont know but I am reading it well.
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I finished it yesterday and i really like it. It's very naive, but very lovely.

I would prefer Lord Southminster
goes to prison, but as nowadays the rich ones don't go to prison and the poor ones as Higginson do.
And Lois
and Harold will be happy ever after.
Good reading for summer. :D
Carmen Neke
Foroadicto
Contactar:

Mensaje por Carmen Neke »

i was a bit disappointed by the end of the book. I was hoping
Harold had set everything up to be able to marry Lois, but it was only my imagination going too far :lol: :lol:

Lord Southminster is a terrific character, someone you love to hate :twisted: And his posh way of talking is worth being read up aloud to fully appreciate it! The characters' different "voices" are so well written, you can almost hear them just by reading the dialogues.

I totally agree with LizzyDarcy, this is the perfect holiday book. Much better, funnier and fresher than many chick-lit books being published nowadays.
Murke
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por Murke »

Hello everyone! :hola:

I could not write during my holidays, I'm sorry! I totally agree with you, it was a delicious reading. My favourite character was, of course, Lord Southminster, what an accent! :lol: To laugh out loud :lol: .
Carmen Neke escribió:i was a bit disappointed by the end of the book. I was hoping
Harold had set everything up to be able to marry Lois, but it was only my imagination going too far :lol: :lol:

I thought the same, Carmen :lol: . I thought that
Harold had arranged everything so that he didn't get any inheritance and was able to marry Lois, but at some point I thought that Harold couldn't have arranged that plan, it would have been too much! :lol:
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Murke escribió: I totally agree with you, it was a delicious reading. My favourite character was, of course, Lord Southminster, what an accent! To laugh out loud .
When Lord Southminster talked sometimes I had to read aloud to understand what he says :lol: :lol:
Responder