Miss Cayley's Adventures by Grant Allen

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Miss Cayley's Adventures by Grant Allen

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Imagen

Title: Miss Cayley's Adventures
Author: Grant Allen
Pages: 256

When her stepfather dies, Miss Lois Cayley finds herself alone in the world with only twopence in her pocket. Undaunted, the intelligent, attractive, and infinitely resourceful young woman decides to set off in search of adventure. Her travels take her from London to Germany, Italy, Egypt, and India, as she faces various challenges and meets an assortment of eccentric characters. But when her true love, Harold Tillington, finds himself accused of forging a will and faces prison, Miss Cayley will need all her ingenuity to investigate the case, solve the mystery, and save Harold from the diabolical plot!
mariki
Vivo aquí

Re: Miss Cayley's Adventures by Grant Allen

Mensaje por mariki »

It really looks great :o I'll try to join the MC
happykent
Foroadicto

Mensaje por happykent »

:164nyu:
Carmen Neke
Foroadicto
Contactar:

Mensaje por Carmen Neke »

I started reading last noght and I just couldn't stop. Such a delicious book! The main character is a kind of crossing between Sherlock Holmes and Miss Marple, she is great fun! I hope the book keeps on like this, the first adventure was a very fine one.
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Great first impressions Carmen. I hope finish the book i'm reading today and start this tomorrow :D

Mixture between Marple and Holmes sounds really good :boese040:
Murke
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por Murke »

Hi! :D
I have also begun reading it and I share Carmen's opinion: it's a delicious little book :D . Although the "mysteries" are quite naive for our time, it's still a pleasure to read.
I'm on her fifth adventure now.
I also find it very interesting that the characters are English travelling in Germany :mrgreen: . Lady Georgina's opinions about the Germans are hilarious :lol:. And she still complains about Germans criticizing England while visiting the country! :lol:
Carmen Neke
Foroadicto
Contactar:

I have just finished the second adventure and the views about English and Italian girls and German Mädschen are very special indeed :lol: :lol: It's unexpected for a book from this period to have a female main character who has studied at Cambridge without becoming a blue stocking and who is a free spirit and remaining in the meanwhile a true lady. And even more unexpected in a novel written by a man, although it seems he published a couple of books under a female pseudonym.

I have been reading a bit about the author, about whom I was very curious, and according to Wikipedia his doctor, friend and neighbour was sir Arthur Conan Doyle! :shock:
Carmen Neke
Foroadicto
Contactar:

I keep on reading and Miss Cayley keeps on travelling. I have just finished her adventures in Egypt with the conclusion that British people nowadays behave abroad just on the same way they used to do a century ago :shock: They travel to meet other British people abroad, local people are there to serve them and to be mistrusted and despised. Nevertheless, the book is great fun to read.
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Very interesting the things Carmen, you tell about Grant Allen, i don't know why but i thougth the author was a woman :shock: So i'm surprised.

I started yesterday, i read just a few pages and i like and i find it very funny. Miss Cayley's is very funny and lady Georgina is horrible :lol: :lol:
mariki
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por mariki »

Lizzy :60: :60: :60:

I finished the first episode. It's funny and I liked how things were resolved. She is pretty smart

There's only one thing that I didn't like. What is that comment about being a teacher? :evil:
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Mariki :D

I read the first two adventures, and i'm enjoying so much. I think
Harold and Lois may find themselves again at the end of the book. I love happy endings :08:
Carmen Neke escribió:British people nowadays behave abroad just on the same way they used to do a century ago They travel to meet other British people abroad, local people are there to serve them and to be mistrusted and despised. Nevertheless, the book is great fun to read.
I agree with you, they like to travel but they hate everybody who isn't brittish and every costume different as theirs :icon_no_tenteras:
Carmen Neke
Foroadicto
Contactar:

I have already finished the book, but as you are both still reading I'll wait to post my final comments until you also finish. I'm curious to know what you think about the last adventures and the ending :wink:
mariki
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por mariki »

Have you already finished? :shock: I'm going pretty slow. Not only I am reading another book and listening to an audibook in English, but also I try to read this one out loud at least for 30 minutes everyday as a way to improve my pronunciation :)

I've just finished chapter 2. I was also surprised by Lady Georgina's reaction when she discovers
that Lois doesn't want to marry her nephew :lol:
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

mariki escribió: I've just finished chapter 2. I was also surprised by Lady Georgina's reaction when she discovers
that Lois doesn't want to marry her nephew :lol:
Me too,
who could understand her? :lol: :lol:
I'm ver slow too, i've just finished the third adventure,
she is a very good cyclist :lol: :lol: and now she has 50 pounds what a fortune :alegria:
Carmen, did you like it?
Carmen Neke
Foroadicto
Contactar:

Mariki, you are working really hard on this book! But it's also a very good way of improving your English, although the vocabulary is some times rather old-fashioned.

I liked this book much more than I had expected to, it was a real surprise for me because I generally don't like 19th-century novels. The author had a very sharp vision for social issues such as women rights and racism, and a very blind eye for other social issues as lower and higher classes and their place in society :lol:
Responder