Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

mariki
Vivo aquí

Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

Mensaje por mariki »

Imagen

Title: Six of Crows
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Year: 2015
Pages: 465
Synopsis:
  • Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone. . . .

A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction if they don't kill each other first.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo returns to the breathtaking world of the Grishaverse in this unforgettable tale about the opportunity and the adventure of a lifetime.

Six of Crows is a twisty and elegantly crafted masterpiece that thrilled me from the beginning to end. New York Times-bestselling author Holly Black

Six of Crows [is] one of those all-too-rare, unputdownable books that keeps your eyes glued to the page and your brain scrambling to figure out what's going to happen next. Michael Dante DiMartino, co-creator of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra

There's conflict between morality and amorality and an appetite for sometimes grimace-inducing violence that recalls the Game of Thrones series. But for every bloody exchange there are pages of crackling dialogue and sumptuous description. Bardugo dives deep into this world, with full color and sound. If you're not careful, it'll steal all your time. The New York Times Book Review
mariki
Vivo aquí

Re: Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

Mensaje por mariki »

It's been a while since our last bookclub in English, so here we are :wink: @LizzyDarcy and I are going to read this one on July 20th, if I'm not mistaken. Would you like to join?
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Hi!
I've heard only good things about this book, so i can't wait to read it.

See you next July 20th, i hope someone to join us
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Hi!
I'm ready to start it. But my reading speed isn't going to be so fast because i'm reading at the same time another book. :wink:
mariki
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por mariki »

Hi! I'm here too :wink: I read the first chapter last night. We have some touches of magic, but we need more to get used to this new world. The first sentence was hilarious [emoji38]

I'll go slow too because I'm reading another book :wink: Also, I think that the chapters are a bit long, so it doesn't help to read it more quickly.
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I'm in chapter 6

Well, i like it, but I don't know if it's a problem of reading it in English or that we're still in the begining, but i'm feeling a bit lost. There are lots of new words, so it's difficult going on.

I go on reading in English, but if in two chapters i'm still feeling lost, i change into spanish version.

We're still meeting the characters. Kaz is making a crew for a new, big and dangerous work so the story hasn't started yet.

@mariki what about you?
mariki
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por mariki »

I think I'm going to start chapter 7 and I feel the same as you. We have a lot of information and I'm not sure if I'm understanding everything. I should have marked the place where they explain about the different types of Grishas and their abilities, and the changes
with that drug
, but I didn't do it and now I can't remember any of that :roll: There is a guide at the beginning of the book but it's just a list of the different types, not enough for me.

@LizzyDarcy If you change to the Spanish version, I have it ready in my kindle too :cunao:
Kiraya
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Mensaje por Kiraya »

I might be joining you here. It's been a while since last time I read in English just for fun...
Escribo, luego existo

Y hablo de lo que me da la gana en https://navegandocultura.com/
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Kiraya escribió: 27 Jul 2019 16:25 I might be joining you here. It's been a while since last time I read in English just for fun...
It would be fantastic if you finally will join us :60:
Kiraya
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Mensaje por Kiraya »

I had a look... I will need to go all through the glossary or whatever that is. :roll:
Last week I decided to try Milkman in English. I am not sure I will be able to go with both. I know Milkman is not an easy reading, so if we go with a million names and stuff like this here... well... :comp punch:

So far, it was just a taste. I will keep going and see how I handle.

PS: next time, you guys please, please, please choose something easy to follow, at least! :cunao: Pleeeeeez!!!
Escribo, luego existo

mariki
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por mariki »

This wasn't an easy reading. So many names and made-up words. I agree tjat we should read something easier for the next one [emoji38]
Kiraya
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Mensaje por Kiraya »

I would not mind some "technical" difficulty, like rich vocabulary or elaborated syntax, but starting up with lots of names is a difficulty in your own language already and it adds up when you are reading another language: your mind is too busy (more if it is not just reading but also translating), there is not room for retaining specific references.

Anyways, I want to give it a try but not yet. I have another one in English and some others in Spanish, so maybe next week I will start with Six of Crows, too late?

PS: I love this! I can post from work without the corrector making noise and messing up!!! :alegria:
Escribo, luego existo

Parónima
No puedo vivir sin este foro

Mensaje por Parónima »

Kiraya escribió: 29 Jul 2019 19:12 PS: next time, you guys please, please, please choose something easy to follow, at least! :cunao: Pleeeeeez!!!
Hi there! I need to improve my poor english... somehow. So if you plan any easy english reading, please count me in. I'll be kicking the language though, so I hope you'll forgive my mistakes :oops: :oops:

PS: Sorry for the intrusion
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Wellcome Parónima :60:

We have to plan another English MC, we're four, and maybe there would be more people interested :alegria: :alegria:

I have to admit that i had to change into Spanish, because i found the reading a bit difficult, lots of made-up words and characters so I didn't enjoy the reading.

But in Spanish I enjoyed so much. I finished yesterday and I really liked the book.

If you want we can talk about an English MC, i can open a thread to talk there.
Kiraya
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Mensaje por Kiraya »

Sounds like a plan!

How did you find The Hunger Games, @LizzyDarcy ? Was it readable?
I think young-adult stuff is easy reading for starters.
Any of the Harry Potter saga could do, or, if those are too burnt, then Alcatraz Versus The Evil Librarians or other from the saga.
Ender's Game is an easy one too, short sentences, very simple.
Ready Player One...

We can build a list of expected-to-be-easy readings and see.
Escribo, luego existo

Responder