The girl on the train - Paula Hawkins

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

Larús
La enciclopedia

Re: The girl on the train - Paula Hawkins

Mensaje por Larús »

The thread for April's CL is already open.

You can comment it here

:60:
happykent
Foroadicto

Mensaje por happykent »

I have read about half the book. It is easy to read in English, with not many unknown words :) The author's strategy about switching the narrator from Rachel to Megan is a good one, allows to keep the interest in both stories.
I start with the part: Rachel, Saturday, August 3

Rachel
is an alcoholic and her life has a lot of problems. She suffers from depression because she cannot let her ex-husband go and also cannot forget her previous life as a married woman with him.
She also got fired from her job because she went drunk...
She travels by train daily and looks at her previous neiborhood. There she got glimpses of a married couple, Jess and jason to her, who she thinks are very happy together. But one day, she saw Megan kissing another man and she was very dissapointed. Afterwards, she finded out that Megan dissapeared, so she told the police about the man.
Megan, on the other hand
is not very happy in marriage, and has at least one lover. She is also going to a therapist and tried to become his lover, but he refused her. Till this moment I thought her lover was him, but now I am convinced that Tom (Rachel's ex) is her lover :noooo:
Now
Megan's body appeared and Rachel was called for the police because she was in the area the night of Megan's dissapearance.
Rachel doesn't remenber anything about that fatal Saturday, and she is afraid of what she could have done.
My suspects are
Scott and Tom :meditando: . The former because Megan was leaving him and the latter because I think was her lover.
Larús
La enciclopedia

Mensaje por Larús »

Are you reading it in English?? I'm glad you dared!! :D
I didn't, by the way :lol:
happykent
Foroadicto

Mensaje por happykent »

larousse86 escribió:Are you reading it in English?? I'm glad you dared!! :D
I didn't, by the way :lol:
Yes, larousse. I am reading it in English. You should try it :60: , is fairly simple to read. I started it last Saturday and I have already read the 75 percent of the book :o

I am starting the part: Rachel, August 15, 2013

I have two theories:
I think Tom is Megan's Murderer, but I suspect also of Rachel :boese040: . Either Tom commited the murder and Rachel witnessed it or Rachel did it.
About the 70 percent of the story is pretty obvious that Tom was Megan's lover. He is an expert at lying and at being unfaithful :noooo: He used to tell Rachel that he had meetings with customers or friends when he was with his lover. After he got married to Anna, he said the same lies to her in order to see Megan.
Anna pretends to be happy in her marriage but Tom manipulates her. Nobody is happy in this story...
Rachel:
still drinks a lot and she cannot remember what happened on that fatal Saturday. She keeps getting herself in trouble, now she had slept with Scott! :shock: She is also having therapy with Kamal, I hope that will help her.
Anna
denounced Rachel to the police because she keeps going to the neiborhood. But it appears that Anna is hiding something about the night that Rachel went to their flat, the same night of Megan's dissapearance.
Megan
had a very sad story in her past. Her baby died because of her negligence :cry: : she falled asleep while taking a bath with her daughter. Now the papers are talking about this and Megan is beeing called a murderer.
happykent
Foroadicto

Mensaje por happykent »

Finished! It was good and entertaining.

In the end
Rachel remembered what happened on that fatal Saturday's night: she saw Tom and Megan together and then, getting into his car.
She also found that Tom was the murderer and that he had lied to her from the start :noooo:
It appears that
Rachel finally has made a change in her life: she sees everything clearer now and has decided to abandon her drinking :eusa_clap:
Anna, Rachel and Megan were women with a lot of problems and suffering in their lifes. It was good to have chapters and points of view of every three of them.
Responder