Bill Bryson

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

Responder
mickey81
Lector voraz

Bill Bryson

Mensaje por mickey81 »

What do you think about this author?

I really love him
his books are funny and interesting!
and what is more,he is Australian and I love that place!really beautiful! :D
mickey81
Lector voraz

Mensaje por mickey81 »

"In a sunburned country"

A review from Amazon.com:

Bill Bryson follows his Appalachian amble, A Walk in the Woods, with the story of his exploits in Australia, where A-bombs go off unnoticed, prime ministers disappear into the surf, and cheery citizens coexist with the world's deadliest creatures: toxic caterpillars, aggressive seashells, crocodiles, sharks, snakes, and the deadliest of them all, the dreaded box jellyfish. And that's just the beginning, as Bryson treks through sunbaked deserts and up endless coastlines, crisscrossing the "under-discovered" Down Under in search of all things interesting.
Bryson, who could make a pile of dirt compelling--and yes, Australia is mostly dirt--finds no shortage of curiosities. When he isn't dodging Portuguese man-of-wars or considering the virtues of the remarkable platypus, he visits southwest Gippsland, home of the world's largest earthworms (up to 12 feet in length). He discovers that Australia, which began nationhood as a prison, contains the longest straight stretch of railroad track in the world (297 miles), as well as the world's largest monolith (the majestic Uluru) and largest living thing (the Great Barrier Reef). He finds ridiculous place names: "Mullumbimby Ewylamartup, Jiggalong, and the supremely satisfying Tittybong," and manages to catch a cricket game on the radio, which is like

listening to two men sitting in a rowboat on a large, placid lake on a day when the fish aren't biting; it's like having a nap without losing consciousness. It actually helps not to know quite what's going on. In such a rarefied world of contentment and inactivity, comprehension would become a distraction.
"You see," Bryson observes, "Australia is an interesting place. It truly is. And that really is all I'm saying." Of course, Bryson--who is as much a travel writer here as a humorist, naturalist, and historian--says much more, and does so with generous amounts of wit and hilarity. Australia may be "mostly empty and a long way away," but it's a little closer now. --Rob McDonald
lucia
Cruela de vil

Mensaje por lucia »

I've never heard anything about this writer before. But that book surely sounds interesting!
Nuestra editorial: www.osapolar.es

Si cedes una libertad por egoísmo, acabarás perdiéndolas todas.

Imagen Mis diseños
mickey81
Lector voraz

Mensaje por mickey81 »

I made a mistake he is not australian as I thought, he is American!
but He loves Australia as you can see in his book "In a sunburned country! :D
mickey81
Lector voraz

Mensaje por mickey81 »

here is the official website about Bill Bryson!
lucia
Cruela de vil

Mensaje por lucia »

Now, go edit your message and add the link ;)
Nuestra editorial: www.osapolar.es

Si cedes una libertad por egoísmo, acabarás perdiéndolas todas.

Imagen Mis diseños
mickey81
Lector voraz

Mensaje por mickey81 »

chihiro

Mensaje por chihiro »

yes he is quite good but, I have read "Notes from a Small island", very funny indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!.he is american, but he went to England got married and lived ther for many years....once come back to Usa he started to write in a newspapers this litlle stories comparing live in England an in Usa. quite good!!!!! specially if you have lived in one of those countries.........
Responder